Today marks a year since I was elected to represent Sheffield Hallam. I’ve done my absolute best to represent you, campaigning on everything, from covid support to the climate crisis, and I’ll keep doing so in 2021. Here are some of the important points from this year!
- I’ve helped 1000s of constituents and responded to over 10,000 enquiries on a huge variety of issues. You can see the top issues you’ve contacted me about and how they’ve changed over the year here.
- In my maiden speech I celebrated our wonderful Sheffield Hallam from our valleys to our wildlife. And our folklore legends like Loxley’s own Robin Hood! I broke Parliamentary convention and called for urgent action on the climate crisis!
- Through my work on the Public Accounts Committee I’ve held the government to account on issues ranging from SEND provision and recruitment of nurses, to Covid-19 support and the controversial towns fund.
- I argued for robust action to tackle the climate and protect our environment. Recently, I secured a debate on moorland burning, which releases tonnes of CO2, increases the likelihood of flooding, and destroys biodiversity. It’s time to #BanTheBurn!
- I’ve held the government to account on Brexit, environmental, food, agricultural, and animal welfare standards, and stood-up for migrants’ and workers’ rights after the transition period. Here‘s my latest speech on food and animal welfare standards.
- As the new chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, I’ve led an inquiry into the affect of covid-19 on SEND provision and called on the government to fulfil it’s obligations to SEND children and young people by urgently publishing it’s SEND strategy.
- I’ve argued strongly for more support during the covid-19 outbreak for women’s health and families who experience miscarriage, sharing my experiences alongside other brave colleagues.
And in a year where life has been turned upside down… so much more!